Tuesday 2 December 2014

Getting Started on my Sketching Book: the Flat Plan


Now I have the go-ahead for my Urban Sketching book on sketching people, the next job has been to convert the detailed synopsis I created earlier, into what's called a 'flat plan'. This is a way of ensuring that the chapter sections divide appropriately into the amount of pages I have at my disposal, and that the flow of the book works properly.


My editor sent me this template to work on. The idea is to fill it in with section-headings for each page and colour-coding for the chapters, to give a complete over-view of the book, at a glance.

It's been a really interesting process. It immediately pointed up certain problems with the plan as I had it, mostly because, as with picture books, you have to be very aware of how your material works as spreads and of course can't have random single pages. So, I have been re-jigging things, nipping and tucking my content. I did a rough flat plan with coloured pencils first then, once it was working properly, did a posh version in Photoshop:




Today, I am going down to London, where I will meet the rest of the team for the first time. Together we will go through my flat plan and make any changes necessary to fit with what they think will work best. As ever, although I am the author, a book is a team project. I might have a lot of experience in designing children's books, but this is a very different kind of project, so I am happy to be educated as we go along. 

I'm excited to meet my editor and keen to get started! I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

Jennifer at WriteKidsBooks said...

I love this behind-the-scenes stuff. I don't know about others, but I'll be tuning in regularly to watch the book take shape. (People who can draw fascinate me anyway, because I can barely do stick figures.)

Lynne the Pencil said...

Ha ha ha - there's going to be a section in the book called 'I can't even draw stick figures!'because so many people say that to me :-D

Anonymous said...

Lynne, thanks for showing us this aspect of preparing your new book. I suppose the process will take some time to realise. Do you have a publication date as yet - I struggle with figures so will be looking forward to some assistance!

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

I think I will need this book!! Hurry and finish it!! Love your work!