Friday 14 October 2016

Urban Sketchers Beijing



The lovely thing about Urban Sketchers is that they are everywhere. I wasn't sure about China though, given they are so cut off from our social media. But it turns out there is indeed a very healthy Beijing chapter, run by Flora Wang. I managed to hook up with them and we went out sketching together on two different Saturdays while I was in Beijing.


Our first meet-up was at another park. About 20 of us sketched together in the delicate sunshine (it was being diffused by rather a lot of pollution in the air, but that's another story).



The Chinese parks are beautifully laid out and kept spotlessly clean. I sketched two views from more or less the same spot, first in watercolour, then in my Koh-I-Noor 'magic' pencil: 



Then I spotted sketcher, Peggy Wong, in front of me with an extremely cute, baby bunny in the crook of her arm. After I had stroked it's unfeasibly smooth head, I had to try and capture the memory in my book:



Pi Pi turned out to be the pet bunny of this little girl. It was REALLY tiny. She carried it around in this cute rabbit-cage handbag. It seemed perfectly happy in there.


A bit later, on my way to try and find the loo, I chanced upon a small group practising a kind of Tai Chi. They were moving slowly, turning circles on the spot but twisting in dance-like actions.



Then it was time for lunch. We all went to a café together and, after we had eaten, they asked me to talk to them a bit about my work and my sketch kit. Flora translated very patiently for the rest, who mostly didn't speak much English.


Then they took me to a massive art materials shop (where you could buy all our brands from home). After hearing my usually enthusiasm about Inktense pencils, a couple of people bought sets.

After the others had headed off, I went back to the park on my own, where I rounded off the day with a lovely encounter. I spotted a painting lesson going on under the trees, with lots of kids at easels.


It amused me to paint the painting and, of course, I was eventually spotted by the art teacher. She spoke no English, but we did lots of smiling and exchanged websites. Then we took this photo together:


What a lovely sociable day!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What a lovely story, thank you for sharing this, x

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynne the Pencil said...

Thanks Barbara. Glad you enjoyed it.

Lynne the Pencil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda said...

Great post, and beautiful photos and art! :)

Lynne the Pencil said...

Cheers Linda - glad you enjoyed it. So many stories to tell when you go somewhere so exciting!

lewerentz said...

Lovely sketches and watercolours, as usual.

Pilgrim said...

USK Beijing has a great Inatagram feed. Some very skillful sketchers there.